Entries survey

Colin LawsonNews

We continue to plan for an on-water regatta in June. Because of uncertainty over the nature of restrictions that will be in place at that time we are considering a range of options, about which we would like your opinion to help us determine the best way forward.

It appears unlikely that we will find out the exact nature of restrictions or the dates involved until close to the time of the regatta. However, appropriate Covid secure precautions will be in place in accordance with UK Government and British Rowing Guidelines.

Under current plans the Regatta will look very different from previous years. In order to achieve social distancing there will be no Regatta Enclosure, no bankside activities, no spectators, and the number of events on the water will be reduced. Competitors will be asked to arrive for their event then leave the area again once their event is over.

Vehicle parking will only be provided for trailers, volunteers and competitors, and there will be no on-site camping. Limited catering may be available depending on the nature of restrictions. There will be no evening presentation of trophies. Winners will instead be asked to collect their prizes after the conclusion of each event.

Site infrastructure will be different from what is usual. The course length is to be decided. The location of the start and finish could be different from what is usual, e.g. as needed to accommodate ongoing bridge repairs and associated footpath closures and restrictions. The ability to run events on the long course is partly dependent on the availability of umpires and volunteers.

Mindful that many crews will have had little opportunity for training or on-water time over the past year we are planning to extend the regatta to 3 days, starting on Friday, June 11th. Events on Friday are likely to include the College Maiden Fours and skills tests of a type as yet to be determined, but likely to be for J13/14 Juniors and Colleges. It is also possible that events might be contested over more than one day e.g. heats on Friday and finals on Saturday or Sunday. We would like your views on these proposals.

Depending on restrictions to travel and the number of events that can be accommodated it may be necessary to limit entries to specified geographical areas.

These are some of the issues yet to be decided. It will help if you could please complete the survey at https://forms.gle/CbD4Udg16ezs3pQ98 by March 29th.