Durham Regatta is a community event and as such is run entirely by volunteers, to whom we are most grateful. Since its inception in 1834 management has been carried out by an executive committee responsible for organising, running and ensuring the continuation of the Regatta.
Although run as a limited company since 2011 the historic committee structure remains in place, and with two months to go to this year’s Regatta plans are well advanced. The Executive Committee promotes rowing generally, focusing on rowing in Durham City. This includes providing support to schools, rowing clubs, colleges and the public.
Members of the Executive Committee include –
- President – Mr Doug Stewart
- Chairman – Dr Nigel van Zwanenberg
- Treasurer – Mrs Janice Herrod
- Secretary – Mr Chris Merchant
- Entries Secretary – Dr Richard Mortimer
- Sponsorship Secretary – Mrs Deborah Mortimer
- Safety Committee – Mr Dave Robinson
- Welfare Officer – Mrs Sarah-Louise Wheeler
- Site Manager – Mr Andrew Curtis / Mr. Chris Bell
- Press Officer – Mr Colin Lawson
- Equipment Officer – Post vacant
- Volunteer Co-ordinator – Mr Mark Gilbank
- Chairman of Race & Technical Committees – Mr Charly Curtis
Each year a small army of volunteers helps to set-up, pack-down, man the entrances and perform all sorts of other important tasks during the event. Volunteers also work behind the scenes all year by helping with finances, marketing, sponsorship and social media.
We are grateful for the help provided by groups such as the Durham University Colleges, Army Cadets and members of the local rowing community.
If you would like to be involved with the Regatta in any way please email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the Volunteer Co-ordinator.
The 185th Durham Regatta takes place on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th 2018.